Tonight, I’ll be participating in a “twitter chat” about ELLs and literacy with the International Literacy Association (#ILAchat http://www.reading.org). I wanted to offer some more detailed answers to go along with the 140-character tidbits I’ll be tweeting out. Follow @ingridobrien on Twitter around 8 pm Eastern tonight.
Here’s a peek at some of the topics I’ll be covering:
- What’s the big deal about learning to read in a new language?
- Does first-language literacy help or hurt ELLs?
- How do listening, speaking, reading, and writing relate to each other in ELL literacy?
- What can I put in my classroom to help my ELLs?
- What can I start doing tomorrow to help my ELLs?
- What should I start doing long-term to help my ELLs?
See you tonight!